Sunday, July 12, 2009

My Birthday

My awesome hubby took a half-day off of work to spend my birthday with me. We started the afternoon off by driving all the way to the 16th street mall to visit "The Cookie Lady". There's a little bakery called The Sante Fe Cookie Company that is only open for a few hours each day, Monday-Friday only. She makes all the cookies herself and then puts three in a bag, places them on the counter, and goes about her business making more cookies. You come in, take a bag, and put a dollar in the milk jug on the counter. The Denver Post did a story about this place, and we've been wanting to try it ever since. I must say, the Moon Cookies (M n' M cookies) we pretty tasty! You can see behind Hannah in the picture the trays filled with bags of cookies.

After we picked up a large assortment of cookies, we needed some lunch before we indulged in them, so we went to Subway (one of my absolute favs--I'm easy to please with a turkey sandwich!). Noah and Hannah split a meatball sub, and Justin was brave enough to hold Noah in the tiny both in the un-family-friendly teenie tiny downtown restaurant.

After the kids had their naps (and Justin went to pick up 13 boxes of hardwood for our new floors--woot!) We took the kids to the fountains at Southlands to play. Hannah loved it; Noah wasn't so sure. I got a ton of great pics and got to watch my three kids (Justin was there, remember?!) play around in the fountain.


Noah splashed a bit, but mostly watched from afar.

Part of the reason for going to Southlands was to have dinner at Rumbi's, a little carribbean-style restaurant that has a BBQ chicken salad with lots of cilantro that I could just eat everyday. We had a nice family dinner there, complete with Hannah and Justin's favorite sweet potato french fries.
After dinner we came home to wait for my family to come over for cake. Dasha came over also, which made my whole day complete. I just love that girl! Hannah had a blast playing dress up with her cousins-I couldn't help but snap a picture or two of her in her little getup. My sister and I took some goofy pictures together, and I love the one of her I caught! Sorry for the post, Les!


For all of those who seemed so concerned, yes, I made my own birthday cake. But it was by choice. I invented this little baby for Justin's company picnic cake-walk, and Hannah really wanted some. Okay, okay, so did I! So I made another one for my birthday, and it must have been good because there wasn't any left after my family and I got ahold of it! Yes it is supposed to look like a giant Oreo cookie; I even melted chocolate on top and then crushed up a bunch of Oreos to put over the chocolate.

So, my 28th (!) birthday was a great day. I got to spend it with my little family, and then topped off the evening with more great company and a totally yummy cake. Happy Birthday to me!

No comments: